We started with learning that we need to discipline ourselves to "intake" scripture as much as we can. We do this in part by hearing it, reading it, and studying it. This is the beginning. As we are hearing, reading, and studying, there are other things we can do to help us live out God's word.
One thing that burns scripture on our hearts and minds is Memorization. A lot of people, including myself, struggle with memorizing (or at least we think we struggle with it). Whitney used an illustration in his book to let us see that with the right motivation we can memorize anything we want. He basically said, if I were to offer you $1000 for every Bible verse you memorize in the next 7 days you would suddenly be memorizing like crazy.
Memorizing allows the Holy Spirit to use God's word at any moment by bringing it to our attention at just the right time. Proverbs 22:17-19 says, "Incline your ear , and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them are ready on your lips. That your trust may be in the LORD, I have made them known to you today, even to you."
God's word is described as the sword of the spirit. If we see each verse at a sword, or tool to be used, how can we fill our "tool box" with the right tools or swords for battle? Memorize, memorize, memorize. As you memorize, write the verse out, draw a picture to help you remember what that verse is saying, get creative. Also, memorize the verse word for word exactly, as well as the book, chapter, and verse. Knowing a verse generally but not knowing it exactly or where to find it isn't a lot of help when you or someone else needs that word. And even worse, if we don't know it word for word we may misquote it or misinterpret it.
Another important aspect of taking in God's word and allowing it to change us is by Meditating on it. That is, to think deeply on a verse or passage. Ask questions of it, observe things like grammar, who's talking, who are they talking to, what might God be teaching me through this passage, etc. Once as I was working on an assignment on Act 1:8, I learned how meaningful meditating on scripture is. My assignment was to come up with 25 observations from that one verse. I memorized it so that I could think about it at times that I could be sitting reading it. On my way to work one morning I was meditating on that verse and God just kept showing me and teaching me things that I may have never learned had I not spent the time to meditate and listen. That was the best drive to work I had ever had. It does take time so make sure you set aside time to truly think deeply about scripture and let the Holy Spirit open it up to you.
Joshua 1:8-9 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."
Psalms 1:1-3 "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers."
I encourage you to discipline yourselves to hear, read, study, memorize, and meditate more on God's word. Don't forget, the purpose is godliness.
No comments:
Post a Comment